Have you ever experienced a blackout or brownout within your vicinity, and as soon as the electricity came back, you heard someone said, “And then there was light?” Maybe you once said that, too. But before anyone else ever said it, God did at the very beginning. Indeed, He created everything out of nothing (Genesis 1:1). Although it may sound like a cliché, it is the truth.
As I think about it, God created light for us to see better, to be enlightened, to be encouraged, to have mornings, to appreciate the beach, to be sunburned, and so on. But it does not just end like that. As the Creation has been narrated from the Old Testament, the New Testament also tells us about re-creation. Both maximize the work of God.
The point is this: God created everything for us, but He also created us for everything.2 After God created the light, He also created us. It is not just the literal light that He created. He also created us in His image and likeness. But the fall damaged that image. And now, through Christ, He recreates it for us through the Holy Spirit. Now we have become light of the world.3
God gave you everything you have right now — time, talents, treasures, friends, families, opportunities, *insert everything here* — so that you can make use of them to glorify Him. Above all, He saved you. Now you have the grace and power to testify about Him.
This is to remind you that you were made beautiful in Christ. You can now glow by His grace and power. So strive to shine your light starting today.
- Do not take His grace for granted.
- Maintain a healthy relationship with the Lord as you fulfill your mission for Him and His Kingdom.
- Be hungry for God, not just for what He has and what He gives you.
- Remain in the presence of the Holy Spirit as you become the salt and light of the world.
- Help one another in shimmering all over the earth and in spreading the Good News.
- God also wants you to shine on somebody else whose light bulb is starting to run out or has already gone out or has not lighted yet.
May your hearts never cease to be on fire for the Lord and the Great Commission as the Lord comes back to restore His Kingdom. When things get rough, giving up is not an option. Please, keep it shining for the Lord. He is with you always to the very end of the age.